Monday 7 April 2008

Working Attachment Mothers. Marji. Excerpt from Immaculate Deception 2. By Suzanne Arms

Marji.
Exerpt from “Immaculate Deception 2” Myth, Magic & Birth.
By Suzanne Arms.

Marji is a physician instructor at a family practice residency program in New York. When she made the decision to breastfeed, as a full time working mother, it was partly because both she and her husband had been bottle fed babies and both of them had a history of allergies. Breastfeeding her baby made her life much more complicated since she had to find a way to do it while continuing her teaching schedule. She has breastfed all four of her children throughout their infancy.

My husband and I used to call it demand feeding. Mommy demands that baby eat according to mommy’s schedule. Luckily some kids will tolerate being put on someone else’s routine. I arranged for a baby sitter who lived near the hospital, and she would either bring my baby to me for feeding or I’d go to her house, -depending on whether I had a lunch meeting or not. I would feed the baby in the morning before I left for the hospital. She’d give him a bottle of breast milk in the middle of the day, then I would feed him again around six, and again later in the evening.

Residents saw me teaching and nursing a baby at the same time. Sometimes I also had to give additional seminars around the six o’clock feeding. It became accepted around here that nursing babies could be part of the program.

My last kid was only four pounds at birth and could not adapt to my schedule. She really needed to nurse every one and a half to two hours. So I brought her to work with me. I always asked patients’ permission when I was in the clinic. to have her there. Almost no one objected. My daughter was in a bassinet in my office for several months, until she was able to tolerate an extended period of time between feedings.

I would not recommend this ordinarily, but in order to work - which I needed to do- and feed my child the way she needed, I had no choice. It would have been very difficult to do this in a hospital that didn’t support me.

I had many patients, teenage girls especially, who commented that seeing me talk to them while I breastfed made them see how important breastfeeding is and that it didn’t need to tie you down. At that point I wasn’t even thinking of the positive impact it might have on patients. I was just surviving.

Most of my collegues were just glad to have me back seeing patients, even if it was in a slightly preposterous capacity. I think it made a big difference here. Within the department, people now often bring their older kids to work, especially for lunchtime or evening meetings. They bring young children and they breastfeed their babies. It’s accepted. But I didn’t do it to make people change. I had a life to lead and kids to feed, and I wasn’t willing to make compromises about the well-being of my kids.

Welcome to the anglophone natural parenting community in France

Beyond Breastfeeding.
The ANPA was created in response to a growing demand for an alternative to parenting organisations and “experts” that encourage artificial feeding, artificial nipples, parent-child separation, vaccines and letting babies cry it out alone, commonly know as “sleep training” and other common trends in parenting practices. We have a forum that is for discerning parents. It is for parents whose babies and children’s and consequentially the family’s well being is priority. The parents on our forum believe that being in contact with like-minded parents is part of the network that promotes conscious, educated parenting.
Our parenting choices are based on the golden standard of real milk, the human kind, and our support extends to parents who share the same standards and want to go beyond. We welcome breastfeeding mothers or mothers who have breastfed until their children wean from the the breast naturally. We believe that offering our breasts as sexual objects is a personal choice, and every woman's right. (not to mention fun) but that feeding babies with breasts is not a question of choice, but of making a stand against the power of marketing over ignorance and isolation. If you think you "can't" breastfeed or "couldn't" please see www.allaitementpourtous.com or any qualified IBCLC or an LLL leader.

This website offers a very small selection of documents and testimonies that are available on the forum PLUS a photo gallerie offering a glimpse into our lives as active parents, free, independant of bottles, (except the champagne kind of course) push chairs, cots, painful front packs and lots more of the expensive equipment that we used to think we needed to be happy parents.
Lots of us have had serious breastfeeding problems, so some of us have a lot of experience with the breast pump kind of equipment, that sometimes is necessary to save a compromised breastfeeding process. (its a bit of a paradox, but we consider the breast pump equipment an investment towards future freedom)
On the forum you will find more documents, and testimonies that can be useful to many stages of parenting, from pregnancy and giving birth to child education.
In our forum you will find real support, with attachment parents, backed by research based information. We know we are definitely the minority in our parenting standards. We know that our parenting choices can trigger guilty feelings, hostility or even aggression from parents, organisations or “experts” that don’t have the same values or education so we recognise that support in our choices is vital to our strength and well being as individual parents and families.
Although there are no rules to natural parenting, there are concepts that we all agree on that are mentioned in the ANPA charter.
To be sure the ANPA is for you, you may ask for a downloadable copy of the charter/quesionnaire. If you do agree with our basic philosophie, please fill it in and send it to astharte@gmail.com
The 25€ annual membership is payable by cheque or paypal. A year's membership, gives you access to the forum, the lending library, the open house dates, meetings, brunch dates, and all the information and support that comes with it.
If you have any questions you can contact ANPAinFrance@gmail.com
All the best to you and your family, and welcome among us.
ANPA members