Monday 7 April 2008

Carrying. Dare to wear bb on my back in a Parisian Pagne

Daring to wear BB on my back in a Parisien Pagne.
See : http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=1sxzTEXQfh4
I used to have a bit of a psychological block about wearing my son on my back. When he was about 8 months old, I was forced to get over it. When C had naps, I was afraid to make the slightest noise for fear of waking him, so getting anything done in the house was darned near impossible. When my man came in at the end of the day, at about 9:30pm, the lunch table was still not cleared away, no laundry or tidying had been done, the whole house was a mess, it was a catastrophe.
When I was first shown how to tie a child onto the back in a carrying wrap, I paid no attention to the demonstration, thinking that I would always carry my baby son in front, close to my heart. However, several weeks later, I realised that carrying on my back would change my daily life.
I tried to remember how to do the tie, to no avail, and anyway, the “back pack” tie scared me, I couldn’t see how my baby would be securely held against my body.
One week later, I attended a meeting on breastfeeding in the wrap. I discovered what is called the Parisian Pagne, which is a knot we all know, but the fabric is folded, and baby is snugly held belly to belly, head at about breast height to enable easy breastfeeding. The wrap goes all around the wearer so that the final knot is done under the child, in front, not in the back. All this enables long hours of carrying without any pain in the shoulders. This same knot is used to carry the child on the back, but much higher than in front.
The very next day I tried the tie, at home, successfully. I felt that C was so snugly held, he couldn’t flop from side to side, he was in total security, nothing could happen to him, so I felt secure wearing him like that.

I carried him for a long time in Parisian Pagne. Then, one day, I was in a hurry, so I put C in the “back pack” tie. This time, with all my experience in the security of the Parisian Pagne, I managed to do the “back pack” tie easily and securly. These days I realise I carry C almost always on the back, in a “back pack” tie. I can do it in 20 seconds!
C now wants to be carried in “back pack” because I do it in a way that his head is above my head and he can see far. I never managed to carry C that high with the Parisian Pagne so he could see only on the sides.

Before our carrying on the back days, I used to pray that C would stay asleep long enough for me to do a little tidying up, or even wash the dishes. Now, when he wakes up, I think, “great, now I can get some things done in this house!” I am now able to maintain the house, baking, and make meals with C on my back.

My man comes home to a clean and orderly house with a lunch table cleared off and a meal made. I have been able to get a little time for myself too. I am now able to put on makeup, and feel a little more like a woman. Now, I wait until C is awake so we can do the dishes together. From his viewpoint, he loves to watch the pots and pans dancing in the hot sudsy water, and be rocked with my movements as I maintain the house. He watches everything I do now, with great interest, and I think he wouldn’t miss a thing for anything in the world.

Carrying my baby on my back has really changed my whole life. I have even found myself realising with a start that I haven’t heard a peep from him in a while, and as I get up to go worriedly into the bedroom to check on him, I suddenly realise that he is on my back, safely in the wrap. I have totally found independance now with my baby, thanks to being able to carry him on my back. Even my couple life has regained the serenity it used to have thanks to my new found independance.

If I had to do things over again, I would probably start carrying my baby on my back a little earlier.
S.

Welcome to the anglophone natural parenting community in France

Beyond Breastfeeding.
The ANPA was created in response to a growing demand for an alternative to parenting organisations and “experts” that encourage artificial feeding, artificial nipples, parent-child separation, vaccines and letting babies cry it out alone, commonly know as “sleep training” and other common trends in parenting practices. We have a forum that is for discerning parents. It is for parents whose babies and children’s and consequentially the family’s well being is priority. The parents on our forum believe that being in contact with like-minded parents is part of the network that promotes conscious, educated parenting.
Our parenting choices are based on the golden standard of real milk, the human kind, and our support extends to parents who share the same standards and want to go beyond. We welcome breastfeeding mothers or mothers who have breastfed until their children wean from the the breast naturally. We believe that offering our breasts as sexual objects is a personal choice, and every woman's right. (not to mention fun) but that feeding babies with breasts is not a question of choice, but of making a stand against the power of marketing over ignorance and isolation. If you think you "can't" breastfeed or "couldn't" please see www.allaitementpourtous.com or any qualified IBCLC or an LLL leader.

This website offers a very small selection of documents and testimonies that are available on the forum PLUS a photo gallerie offering a glimpse into our lives as active parents, free, independant of bottles, (except the champagne kind of course) push chairs, cots, painful front packs and lots more of the expensive equipment that we used to think we needed to be happy parents.
Lots of us have had serious breastfeeding problems, so some of us have a lot of experience with the breast pump kind of equipment, that sometimes is necessary to save a compromised breastfeeding process. (its a bit of a paradox, but we consider the breast pump equipment an investment towards future freedom)
On the forum you will find more documents, and testimonies that can be useful to many stages of parenting, from pregnancy and giving birth to child education.
In our forum you will find real support, with attachment parents, backed by research based information. We know we are definitely the minority in our parenting standards. We know that our parenting choices can trigger guilty feelings, hostility or even aggression from parents, organisations or “experts” that don’t have the same values or education so we recognise that support in our choices is vital to our strength and well being as individual parents and families.
Although there are no rules to natural parenting, there are concepts that we all agree on that are mentioned in the ANPA charter.
To be sure the ANPA is for you, you may ask for a downloadable copy of the charter/quesionnaire. If you do agree with our basic philosophie, please fill it in and send it to astharte@gmail.com
The 25€ annual membership is payable by cheque or paypal. A year's membership, gives you access to the forum, the lending library, the open house dates, meetings, brunch dates, and all the information and support that comes with it.
If you have any questions you can contact ANPAinFrance@gmail.com
All the best to you and your family, and welcome among us.
ANPA members